Thursday, August 4, 2011

Pleasing my parents

When I was offered a well-paid and interesting job straight out of college, my parents sent me flowers.  When, a year later, I announced my new one-year plan included quitting that job to gallivant around
Southeast Asia, my dad told me I could be a life-coach.

Dad, I just told you I was quitting my job. Plus, I’ve been known to steer friends towards terrible decisions for the sake of hilarity. But still, it’s a flattering thought. At least I know you’re proud of me.

Needless to say, I’m one of the rare 23 year olds who is able to escape the “pleasing my parents” complex. Any overwhelming desire to live up to my parents expectations for me is squelched by the fact that my parents think it’s awesome that I’ve chosen to become a “professional nomad.” Not that I’m much of a rebel, but I assume it’s fairly rare to announce to your parents that you’re quitting your job to go explore Asia and have them say, “That’s fine. We’re going to do that too.”

Why, you ask? Let’s back up. About four months before I quit my job, my mom beat me to the punch and left her job. My dad had us both beat, and was actually living in China at the time. Granted, he had a job, but he was on an adventure none-the-less. Around that point, they both decided to relocate for the next few years. My brother had been living in China for years already and had recently signed up to stay longer. So now, I’m really just joining in the family tradition.

In about two weeks I’ll be taking one 36 liter backpack to tour Thailand and Cambodia. For the first leg of my journey, one of my best friends, Shira, will be joining me. Then I’m off to Cambodia to volunteer, eventually meeting up with my parents in China for an indefinite amount of time. For a “planner” like myself, this is both overwhelmingly scary and incredibly freeing. Backpacking in Southeast Asia has been on my bucket list since, well, I made a bucket list (not coincidentally, I think, when the movie “Bucket List” with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson came out. It was cute and it made me cry -- so what?). My lack of a plan is what makes this so appealing to me. I’ve always liked to think of myself as fairly laid-back; however, this has never been true.  This is my first shot at spontaneity.  Follow me as I fly into Bangkok and make it up from there.

7 comments:

  1. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures. (pls include a bit on Maine..) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so excited for you! girls reunion in china 2k13? love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So amazing! Can't wait to hear about all of your adventures of spontaneity, love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. didn't you tell you were moving to China to work in a sneaker factory?

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops. last comment was from Bob using Deb's computer. We are proud, of course, not that she's quitting but that she is exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so jealous. Not that you're backpacking around Asia, obviously that sounds really boring, but that you've successfully started a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joanna, I forgot to give you the name of my American friend who has been in Phnom Phen for some 25 years and works as a lawyer/advocate for the people of Cambodia. Some of his work involved helping people have some closure when they lost their entire families to Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge. Families can come and testify about how difficult life has been for them without family members who were murdered. He and I went to high school together so I have known him about 50 years! OMG! His name is George Cooper and his email is georgecooper@hotmail.com. I am certain he can help you find rewarding volunteer work. He is well connected in Cambodia. Be safe and always wear socks and shoes in Thailand & Cambodia because of the....eww....worms. They tend to enter through bare feet or feet with sandals. Then you don't even know they are in you as you lose nutrition, etc. Be well and safe. Best, Susan Tobin

    ReplyDelete